This website is no longer maintained. Its content may be obsolete. Please visit http://home.cern/ for current CERN information.
Next: Desktop Computing
Previous: The End of AFSmail
Mats Moller AS/SU
In line with the general review of the electronic mail service at
CERN, the QuickMail system will be phased out.
This will improve the
service for Macintosh users in the following ways:
- A central mail server gives higher stability and reliability.
- The IMAP protocol makes access easier. The mail can be manipulated
from a desktop computer at home, a workstation at the office, or a
notebook computer while travelling, without the need to transfer
messages or files back and forth between these computers.
- New client software will integrate better with Internet.
The migration away from QuickMail will start
after the summer and
will be carried out on a service by service basis. The current goal is
to have a large part of the users on the new system before the end of
AS-SU will provide support for all current QuickMail users:
More information will be available at URL:
- Tools will become available for conversion of filed mail messages and
- Identified mailing lists will be moved to the ListBox service.
- Training on new client software when required.
- Help Desk for problem solving/tracking.