This website is no longer maintained. Its content may be obsolete. Please visit http://home.cern/ for current CERN information.
Operating System Certification - Present List
Philippe Defert IT/DIS
As stated in
here is the list of various versions of UNIX which we certify as working
correctly with the CERN-recommended libraries, tools and utilities as
of January, 1999:
We are currently trying to certify a new version of HP-UX but, because
of technical problems, we cannot give any release date now. This
version will probably be based on HP-UX 10.20 ACE3 (which is necessary
for some recent hardware) and will probably include NFS version 3 and
many patches, including the ones needed for Year 2000 compliance.
- Linux Redhat 4.1/4.2 - certified, to be dropped soon
- Linux Redhat 5.1 - certified and recommended
- Solaris 2.5.1 - certified, to be dropped soon
- Solaris 2.6 - certified and recommended
- HP-UX 10.20 - certified and recommended
- Digital UNIX 4.0.b - certified
- AIX/6000 4.1.5 - certified, to be dropped soon
- AIX/6000 4.2.1 - certified, to be dropped soon
- AIX/6000 4.3.2 - certified and recommended
The introduction of Digital UNIX 4.0.d even though
advisable (Year 2000 compliance) was a bit delayed but we hope to
assign resources to do it in the next months.
For those interested in the certification process, it is described
in the Web page:
The latest news on the certification procedure are always
published in the newsgroups associated with each UNIX flavour (for
cern.linux, etc.) and summarised
in the Web page listed above and in each coming CNL.
For matters related to this article please contact the author.
Last Updated on December 14th, 1998 at 16:28:29
Copyright © CERN 1998 -- European Laboratory for Particle Physics